Friday, November 25, 2011

Fil-Am actress stars in 'Godspell' Broadway show

 
 November 22, 2011
GMA News
 
 
NEW YORK --- Filipino-American actress Anna Maria Perez de Tagle, the 20-year-old granddaughter of Philippine screen legend Sylvia La Torre, received a standing ovation in her Broadway debut in “Godspell" at the Circle in the Square Theatre in New York.
 


The daughter of former TV personality Archie Perez de Tagle and Evelyn Enriquez, Anna Maria was born in San Francisco, California.

Anna Maria has already appeared on several movies such as "Camp Rock 1," "Camp Rock 2," "Hannah Montana," and "Fame."

In "Godspell" Anna Maria surprised audiences when she suddenly spoke Tagalog in one part of the show.

Among those who have already seen her performances on Broadway were Filipino actress and singer Lea Salonga, fashion designer Oliver Tolentino and his business partner Andrew Carruthers, former fashion model and beauty queen Bessie Badilla, among others


“I wanted to be a part of ‘Godspell’ because it felt like the right musical to be in for my Broadway debut," Anna Maria said.

“This musical involves a very diverse cast with songs that tie into today's culture. I'm very honored and excited to be a part of this musical adventure. This is definitely a dream come true for me," she added.

Among the cast members are:
  • Hunter Parrish who plays the role of Jesus; Parrish has previously appeared in the Broadway show “Spring Awakening" and the film “It’s Complicated;"

  • Telly Leung who appears as Wes of the Dalton Academy Warblers in the top hit TV show, “Glee."

"Ultimate challenge"

Anna Maria said, “Broadway to me is an ultimate challenge," she said. “There are no second takes unlike film and TV. You have to do your utmost best the first time. This is why I have high regard and respect for people on the big stage. I'm happy, excited, nervous, and ready to get started."

She revealed that her grandmother Sylvia learned of her Broadway debut through the social media.

“It’s so funny that my grandma, Mamacita, found out first thru social media! You know how news spread like wild fire," Anna Maria said.

"She proudly tells all her friends and our relatives: ‘Bata pa ‘yan, mahilig na kumanta, mahusay na umarte. Kanino pa mag mamana kung hindi sa lola," she added.

Anna Maria related that she had to go through a lot to get the part in "Godspell."

“I went through a rigorous audition process and flew to New York three times," she revealed. “I sang ‘Someone Like You’ for the audition and performed my own parable. For the final callback, I sang ‘I Enjoy being a Girl’ and ‘Day by Day.

She only learned that she got the role on her birthday.

"About a week and a half later while I was on my way to a birthday celebration, my dad sent me a text message saying that I have to be on a conference call with my manager, Kevin Jonas Sr., my representative, Hana Emily Lee and my agent, Mitchell Gossett.

"I already had a good feeling that this was going to be a special phone call. When all of us were on the call, my agent announced that he had some good news but let Mr. Kevin Sr. tell everyone on the line that I got the part! Everyone started shouting ‘Congratulations!’ All of us had tears of joy in our eyes!"

This San Francisco-born actress admitted that she first saw the film version of “Godspell" on DVD. “I saw the film version on DVD first and then I saw the 2009 Jacob Inman and company version (Delta Center for the Arts) on YouTube," she said.

“When I saw the version on YouTube, I was very much impressed. The musical was very well put together and humorous," she added.

To prepare for her Broadway debut in “Godspell," Anna Maria revealed that rehearsals started last September 12 with 8-hour days, 6 days a week.

After “Godspell," Anna Maria hopes to continue doing Broadway “if I'm given the opportunity. I would love to go back to TV and film, of course. Another goal is to release an album in the near future as well."

For the 40th anniversary production, “Wicked" and “Pippin" composer Stephen Schwartz, who originally created the musical with the late John-Michael Tebelak, will be adding new lyrics.

As for a trip to the Philippines, Anna Maria replied, “I definitely want to go back to the Philippines once my schedule permits. It's been about 11 years since I was last there, so I'm hoping to make a trip home very soon."


Those who are interested may catch “Godspell" at the Circle in the Square Theatre (1633 Broadway at 50th Street). - VVP, GMA News

No comments:

Post a Comment