Friday, March 29, 2013

...the Pinay in Canada's "La Voix"

Pinay to compete in quarterfinals of Canada's “La Voix” singing contest April 1


March 29, 2013
 
Maria Janice Galvez, a Filipina singer, will be competing in the quarterfinals of Canada's reality singing competition “La Voix” (The Voice) on April 1 at 7:00 a.m. (Philippine time).
 
 
 
 
Galvez, 30 told GMA News Online via email that the quarterfinals could be viewed via this live streaming website: http://www.webmaster-gratuit.com/tele/tva-quebec.htm
 
 
In February she won her 'duel' – a segment where two contestants sing the same song in parts – against Gabryelle Frappier.

 

She said she gave her best and tried to "think that there would not be a next time, that it would be the last.”
 
 
Both sang "Les Uns Contre les Autres," a French song originally by Michel Berger and Luc Plamondon.
 
 
She started studying French at the Centre Champlain only in September 2011, a month after her arrival in Montréal. By August 2012, she progressed to level 6 of the course.
 
“I sang my first French song on the Christmas show at school with one of my teacher, this is when my passion for singing in French started!” Galvez said.
 
Joining La Voix
 
 
Although she loved singing ever since she was a young girl, she had to be convinced by others that she actually had a talent for it.
 
“I would say that I have always loved singing since I was young. Thing is, I was not born with that talent. In my case, the basis is the passion that I put on it,” she said.
 
A friend of her husband enjoyed one of her performances in 2012 and urged her to join the pre-auditions of “La Voix” in Québec.
 
 
“We took the details from the internet… and fortunately, got in!” she recalled.
The pre-auditions for the first ever “La Voix” in Canada were held in September 2012 where Maria was screened with over 4,000 candidates.
 
She became part of the 140 contestants who went on to the blind auditions in January. She was eventually chosen to be part of Jean-Pierre Ferland’s team.
 
“My blind audition was very emotional for me because my coach, Jean-Pierre Ferland was the only one who turned around. He must have been curious to know where the accent of the voice singing in french came from,” she said.
 
 
Galvez won the ‘duel’ and 'chante de bataille' segments respectively held in February and March.


She is grateful to all the people who supported her, including those who liked her official Facebook fan page and followed her Twitter account.
 
 
Most recently, she was saved by her coach during the “en direct” (live show) segment of the show on March 17 which pushed her to the quarterfinals.
“I am being recognized a lot because of the way I learned French, how quickly I adapted, that in less than two years of speaking the language, I manage to be in this competition,” she said.
 
A difficult life
 
 
Although Galvez is experiencing success now in Canada, she recalls how she had a difficult life in the Philippines.
 
 
“My life in the Philippines was not easy. I have experienced a lot of difficulties but I have always been positive. Like everybody else, I have had ups and downs,” she admits adding “ Well, I guess I managed mine good enough.”
 
 
She said her family inspired her to continue with her dreams despite life's difficulties.
 
 
Her husband and children left the Philippines and went to Canada in 2010. She followed in 2011.
Galvez said what she misses about the Philippines are eating kwek-kwek and watching "Eat Bulaga’s" Juan for All, All for Juan program.
 
 
She is planning to go on vacation with her whole family in the Philippines soon. - VVP, GMA News
 
 

1 comment: