Sunday, June 19, 2011

...the Arachne

Pinay Spiderman star shines on Broadway

06/19/2011

NEW YORK- Fresh from her critically acclaimed opening night performance as "Arachne" in the revamped "Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark," Filipino-Chinese Broadway actress TV Carpio met with the press on Thursday.

The 75 million-dollar musical’s opening night received an 11-minute standing ovation the night prior.

Carpio said, “I think it's a really fun stage for us actors to play in, that’s what I think...my job is to show up and say the lines and sing the songs that I love to sing."

TV’s mom, Hongkong superstar Teresa Carpio said, "My baby girl is a star on Broadway! I wanna congratulate her."

Bad reviews and host of injuries postponed its original opening night in 2010. Carpio herself said she sustained a number of injuries during its preview shows including an incident when Spiderman landed on top of her head.

"I was looking up, then he fell on my head while I was looking up and that sort of snapped my head back, that’s why I had a whiplash," said Carpio.

Carpio was born in Oklahoma City but grew up in Hong Kong. She had a promising skating career after moving back in the US but was cut short by an injury.

She said Broadway star Lea Salonga is one of her influences. She also comes from a family of Filipino Jazz singers, where she says she got her talent from.

Kababayans can catch this rising Filipino-Chinese Broadway star on the rewritten and reinvented Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark on Broadway at the Foxwood Theater on Times Square.

No comments:

Post a Comment