Monday, June 20, 2011

...the Pinoy dancers

2 Fil-Ams in top 20 of 'So You Think You Can Dance'

06/21/2011
LOS ANGELES, California - Two Fil-Am dancers made it to the top 20 of Season 8 of the dance program "So You Think You Can Dance."

Tadd Gadduang and Marko Germar are competing to be America's best dancer.

Thousands of hopefuls all over the country auditioned for the show, but only the best were chosen to compete on the weekly show.

Gadduang, 25, made an impressive TV debut with his partner, Jordan Casanova.

The hip-hop dancer is from Utah but grew up in Daly City, California.

"Yeah, Daly City--little Manila. My family moved to San Francisco, and I was born there. My older sister was the one who got me into dance," Gadduang said.

Germar, 22, is the first dancer from Guam to make it in the competition. Since childhood, he has always been interested in dance, but could not afford to get training so he worked at a dance studio in exchange for lessons.

He moved to Los Angeles 3 years ago to fulfill his dream of becoming a professional dancer.

But his dream almost came to an end when he was nearly killed by a robber.

Doctors were not able to take out all of the bullets in his body so one remains in his arm.
He said he won't let it stop him from doing anything, especially dancing.

"It's unbelievable. When I was in 8th grade in Guam, doing my homework, that's when I first saw the show. I asked myself how cool would it be if I made it on the show? Now here we are--it's so surreal. I can't believe it's happening, coming from a small island secluded from everything else, and just a kid who just wanted to dance and have fun. Now doing big things like this and dancing with an amazing partner like Melanie, it's a dream come true," said Germar.

Germar's dance number with his partner, Melanie Moore, was considered the best of the first night of competition, according to the judges and even their rivals.

"It's so emotional… I just can't stop watching them," said Nick Young, a contestant on the show.
Every week, the lowest vote-getter gets booted out of the competition.

Germar was disheartened when he found out Guam can't vote due to the time difference. But he's hoping for Filipinos in the US to help him and Gadduang advance in the contest.

Both are considered as front runners in "So You Think You Can Dance" Season 8.
"Vote, please. Mahal kita," Gadduang said.

Germar said he wants to inspire other young Pinoys who want to achieve something but come from humble backgrounds like him.

"If ever you have a doubt, even just one little, little doubt, tell yourself that you have a reason to live. You don't have a reason to quit. I grew up the same way kids grew up back home and here I am. So if I can do it, they can do it, too," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment