Tuesday, June 12, 2012

...the Canadian Premier

Canadian Premier: I can't sing like Jessica Sanchez but I'm Pinoy at heart

June 12, 2012
GMA News
 
 
British Columbian (Canada) Premier Christian Joan Clark recently told Filipinos: ""I may not look like Jessica Sanchez, and I certainly can't sing like Jessica Sanchez, I may not look like I'm of Filipino descent, but in my heart, in my heart, I am Filipina!" 

According to a news release of the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on June 12, Philippine Independence Day, Clark made the statment as she attended the Filipino "Pista ng Bayan" on June 3 in Vancouver, Canada.
 
A half-Filipino member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) Mable Elmore, also attended the event.
 
Clark represents the B.C. Liberal Party, while Elmore belongs to the rival left-wing B.C. New Democratic Party.
 
Elmore made history in the last election as the first B.C. MLA of Filipino descent. She is a frequent guest at Filipino fiestas and gatherings.
 
Meanwhile, Clark endeared herself to Filipino voters because of her charm, wit, accessibility, and willingness to spend time with immigrants.

Clark, who was in the Philippines recently to open the B.C. Jobs fair and meet with the Philippine Secretaries of Foreign Affairs and Labor, drew cheers from the crowd when she proudly proclaimed in her remarks that "in my heart, I am a Filipina!"

Filipino-Mexican-American Sanchez, meanwhile, made headlines worldwide as she became the first runner-up of Season 11 of  the singing reality competition "American Idol."

Sanchez on Saturday (Sunday in Manila) sang the American national anthem during the much-awaited fight of Sarangani Rep. and boxing icon Manny Pacquiao against American fighter Timothy Bradley. After 12 rounds of boxing, Pacquiao lost to Bradley in a split decision. It was Pacquiao's first loss since 2005. - VVP, GMA News

No comments:

Post a Comment