Friday, October 5, 2012

...the Knot actress

British Filipina actress co-stars in The Knot

LONDON - From Pink Ranger to crazy bridesmaid, actress Rhoda Montemayor debuts on the big screen with a risque role in “The Knot”, a raucous romantic comedy dubbed as the British version of “Bridesmaids” and “The Hangover”.

Set on a summer day in London, it follows the mishaps of a young couple as they go through their wedding day with a set of rowdy friends.

Montemayor plays bridesmaid Anisha, a free-spirited minx who gets up to all kinds of shenanigans, which proved to be a hit with audiences from previews of the film.

“Anisha is crazy. She is fun. I really enjoyed playing her. However, it was quite a challenge because she gets up to a lot of mischief within the film. I’m actually quite nervous about my parent’s seeing this,” she told ABS-CBN News at a special screening and Q&A at London Film School (LSF).

“To be honest, it was quite difficult to relate to Anisha when I was reading the script. I didn’t know how to relate to her because she was so wild and out there, so carefree. But I always try to relate to every character I play, so I found my angle to make her really fun and I grew to like her.”

Best known as Pink Ranger from popular children’s series “Power Rangers: Operation Overdrive”, her latest role is a departure from the tame characters she typically portrays, including stints in British television shows like “Trinity” and “Holby City”.

“One of the main differences is the fact that this character is the most adult role I have played to date.
I do get up to some mischief. So in comparison to all the other stuff which has been quite family friendly, this is the other extreme,” she explained, laughing at the thought of her Filipino parents watching the naughty film.

“I’m really happy with her performance,” observed Enrico Tessarin, a UK-based Italian producer of The Knot, who also attended the event at LFS.

“Audiences love her character. We had a lot of good feedback. I have no doubt she is going to do a lot more films. And I look forward to working with her in many projects.”

Filmed in less than a month in 2009, the independent British film boasts an impressive cast including Hollywood actress Mena Suvari, best known for her roles in “American Beauty” and “American Pie”.

She plays alongside a host of rising stars from British cinema, including BAFTA award winner Noel Clarke (Kidulthood), Matthew McNulty (Little Ashes), and Talulah Riley (St Trinian’s).

“I was blessed enough to work with Noel Clarke who is a big star in the UK and abroad, and he brought with him a lot of good actors including Rhoda Montemayor. And so we get a fantastic ensemble cast and a really good film getting fantastic feedback,” said Tessarin.

Montemayor added: “It was very overwhelming to begin with, I have to honest. I’ve known Noel for quite a long time, but this is the first time I’ve worked with him on screen properly. And obviously Mena Suvari is a massive name. I remember watching her films years ago. She was someone I was nervous about meeting. I’m hugely honoured to be working side by side with them.”

The film is touted by Company Magazine as the “British Bridesmaids meets The Hangover”, both of which amassed millions at box offices worldwide, a comparison welcomed by the film’s producer.

“I’m very proud of that. If The Knot does 10% of their combined box office, I’ll be forever happy and grateful. It’s a wedding film for today. It is about two people like us who get married. A lot of people don’t believe in marriage anymore, and there’s a lot of pressure sometimes to get married or not to get married,” said Tessarin.

“It’s a warm film. It’s going to make you laugh. Fingers crossed it’s going to make you think about love. Everybody comes out of the cinema with a big smile, which is priceless.”

“The Knot” is out on 05 October in cinemas across UK and Ireland.

No comments:

Post a Comment