Thursday, July 7, 2011

...the Berlin Fashion Week finalist

Fil-Dutch designer a finalist at Berlin Fashion Week

07/07/2011

BERLIN, Germany - American designer Marc Jacobs led a jury that picked the winner of the 'Designer for Tomorrow' award at this year's Berlin Fashion Week: Alexandra Kiesel. She was among 5 pre-chosen finalists who presented their collections at the Fashion Week on Wednesday (July 6).

Wearing a 'Marc, love me' T-shirt, the 28-year-old from an East German town near Leipzig clearly won the heart of Jacobs, who told Reuters as what he expects in a designer: "I probably look for things that are not only creative but also wearable, because I think that fashionable clothing is commercial in some way and I guess I am looking for just a very thorough vision, it doesn't need to be my vision, it needs to be their vision and I just want something that is well rounded and that I think is somehow responsive to the different needs of what it is to be a fashion designer."

Berlin Fashion Week, well-known for boosting up-and-coming designers, invited designers from 15 European countries to participate in the competition. For the previous 3 contests only German designers were allowed to compete.

Five finalists, 4 young German designers and one Dutch student, were handpicked by Jacobs. "I don't think of myself as much of a judge or as an arbiter of what is good or what is bad, just what I like and what I don't like. And everybody has the right to that opinion. So whatever makes someone happy I think is right or good.

For them. So there is all different types of style and I don't think there is any right or wrong, there [are] definitely things I prefer but that doesn't make things wrong," Jacobs told Reuters.



Jonathan Christopher Hofwegen was not only one of the finalists but also the first and only international one. Born in Manila, capital of the Philippines, the 24-year-old grew up in the Netherlands, where he is currently in the process of finishing his Masters degree in design studies. For his collection, Hofwegen uses elegant fabrics with some prints that can only be seen under black light.



Another finalist was 25-year-old Markus Schmidbauer who was the only candidate who did not study design. Instead, he graduated in design management and then taught himself the design part.

The collection of winner Alexandra Kiesel made an impact with its bright colors and geometric shapes. Using toy block necklaces that bring back childhood memories, she says she wants to focus on the modular intention behind her collection.

Lena Hasibether and Marc Buscha also presented their collection at the "Designer for Tomorrow Award" show.

Altogether, more than 50 designers and brands will be presenting their new creations at this year's Fashion Week in Berlin, which runs until Saturday (July 9).

No comments:

Post a Comment