Friday, November 4, 2011

...the beauty of the Filipinas to the world

One Miss World, 3 Filipinas

Philippine Daily Inquirer
04November 2011




Three women of Filipino ancestry are competing in the Miss World pageant in London this year. French-Filipina Gwendoline Ruias (right) is representing her mother’s native Philippines, while Canada sent Riza Santos (left), who was born to Filipino parents. Denmark’s bet is Maya Celeste Padillo Olesen whose mother is from Bohol. No Filipino woman has captured the title in the pageant’s 60-year history. The highest placement for the Philippines was Evangeline Pascual’s first runner-up finish in 1973. The Miss World finals will take place on Nov. 6 (Nov. 7 Manila time). CONTRIBUTED PHOTO BY OPMB WORLDWIDE

3 Pinays vie for Ms. World title



LONDON - Miss World has returned to its home for its 60th anniversary with the UK tour culminating in London’s Earls Court on November 6 for the coronation night. 


A total of 113 candidates are vying for the coveted Miss World crown, including three Filipina beauties.
Ms. Philippines’ bet is Gwen Ruais who is determined to bring home the first Miss World crown for the Philippines. Former PBB (Pinoy Big Brother) housemate Riza Santos was Canada’s bet to the Miss Earth 2006. She is Filipino-Canadian and is representing Canada for the second time in an international beauty pageant. Half-Filipino and half-Danish Maya Celeste Padillo Olesen is Denmark’s bet for Miss World 2011.

This year’s candidates are composed of a good mix of diverse backgrounds. Over half of Miss World candidates are said to be in full time education, one in four are already graduates and over a half speak three of more languages.

The Miss World 2011 UK tour started in Scotland with the visit to the Stirling Castle, where Mary Queen of Scots was crowned in 1543, and UNESCO World Heritage Site, Edinburgh Castle.

The tour moved to the University of Cambridge for a guided tour of the famous university. The Miss World participants also debated at the Cambridge Union on the issue of social responsibility. In London, participants enjoyed a Thames boat cruise to Greenwich and a tour of The Tower of London.

Then there was the Miss World Charity Gala on Monday at The London Hilton Ballroom in a fundraising efforts to support sick and disadvantaged children across the world through the Beauty with a Purpose program of Miss World. The shortlisted candidates also showcased their talents during the event.

In a rare opportunity during the Miss World tour, Ms. Canada, Ms. Denmark and Ms. Philippines granted an interview with ABS-CBN inside the iconic city landmark of London—the London Eye.


Below are the excerpts of the interview:

Ms. Philippines Gwendoline Ruais


You are keen to bring home the elusive Ms. World crown for the Philippines. How do you feel now with the most awaited coronation night only a few days away?
It is very exciting. It’s pressure but not in a bad sense. I really want to make my country proud.  As you said, we never got that crown and it will be a great honor for me and for the whole country  if for once, we would get that Miss world crown. I’m really excited and I am going to do my best to make us all proud at sana makuha natin ang koronang ‘yan kasi kayang-kayang nating makuha yan, di ba,  ang galing nating Pinoy?

Who is your role model?
Ang nanay ko. Ang galing galing niya. She also worked very hard. She also went abroad and did her best there where she really made me proud and other Filipinos are proud of her also. Sana maging kapareho rin ako niya, kapareho ni Manny Pacquiao that Filipinos can look up to them and be proud of what they do. They show the world, not only the Philippines na ang galing natin.

What does it mean for you to represent the Philippines in an international stage?
It means a lot. It’s a great honor. When you are here people don’t know me as Gwendoline. They know me as Philippines. Every time they call me that, I am very, very happy.  It makes me really smile because I’m very proud to carry the name of this country. I’m so proud of it.

What is the best part of representing the Philippines?
The best part is you exemplify the qualities of the typical Filipino beauty. Every time they see me they’re like ‘ah Filipino, Filipino!’ Every time they see me, they think of all the good qualities of Filipinos and that is such a great honor. I am proud that this is my country and I get to show the world how Filipinos are in an international stage.

What are your impressions of UK? Is this your first time here? 
I have been to England before when I was really young so I don’t remember much. This is my first time in London. I have been excited and happy. This has been a good experience.

Tell us about the Miss World tour in Scotland.
It was pretty cold up in Scotland but you learn more about the Scottish and English culture. We had fun with the girls. Apart from the cold, it was a great time.

Ms. Universe third runner up Shamcey Supsup is indentified with the tsunami walk. What is your signature walk?

Yung sa akin po, I just try to stay true to myself. I don’t try to study a walk po. Yung sa akin, kung ano ang feel ko. Kung maganda ako diyan, kung maganda ang stage at ako pinakamaganda d’yan, ako ang Pinay, ako ang magaling. Yun ang walk ko. Walang pangalan dyan.

Any thoughts of entering showbiz in the future?
I want to focus muna on my duties as Ms. World Philippines because when I come home we have a lot of work to do. We have to find the next in line, train her for the next Miss World. Of course, I will never say no to opportunity. You never know what might happen pero very interested po ako mag-host.

What would you like to tell our kababayans back home?
Para sa tagumpay ng Pilipinas, ipakita natin sa buong mundo na ang galing ng Pinoy at makukuha natin ang koronang yan.

Ms. Canada Riza Santos

How does it feel wearing two hats – representing Canada while tracing your roots in the Philippines?
I was born and raised in Canada and I did live in the Philippines for 2 years. Very fortunately, I am blessed to live in Canada where it is very multicultural, the most multicultural country in the world and I am proud of my Filipino-Canadian heritage. I’m honored to be representing Canada and come from a Filipino background.

You have a lot of fans in the Philippines because you joined Big Brother. You also represented Canada in the Miss Earth competition. Do you see yourself going back to the Philippines after Miss World to live or work?
 I was working as an actress before. I also hosted a TV show in Macau. Going back to the Philippines is a possibility. But I am also pursuing my career in Canada. I’m almost done with my university degree. So I would like to finish that and get into the work force and gain work experience. But I do love the Philippine very much. It’s a beautiful country.

What about the possibility of going back to showbiz?
 Showbiz? I am not too sure. It’s always something at the back of my mind. I love showbiz, it’s a great business. I am very passionate about acting and singing but I do enjoy working as an engineer. I was working as an engineer in environmental health and safety and I’m almost done with my engineering degree so I would like to pursue that as well. Hopefully, I can do it in parallel in the future.

What is the best experience of being part of the Miss World competition?  How was the earlier tour in Scotland and Cambridge? 

I love the experience as whole, it’s my first time in Europe so I am just enjoying the sights and it’s a lot of fun meeting the girls from all countries. I meet a lot of new friends and it’s always fun to enjoy it with other people. It’s a little bit lonely if you are travelling by yourself and I hadn’t really planned on backpacking so I thought this was just an absolutely time to see London in style and Scotland.

How would you describe your bonding and friendship with fellow Filipino candidates?
It’s really great because you have that instant bond just knowing that they are part Filipino but everybody is just wonderful no matter what background we come from. Everybody has been really great. It has been such a nice experience. It’s a lot of fun.

Few days from now is the coronation night, how do you feel now?
I am just really excited. I couldn’t wait. I love the stage. I’m excited to see the entire event and I can’t believe a billion people are going to be watching it. I’m very honored to be part of it, very much looking forward to it.

What would you like to tell your fans and the Filipinos around the world rooting for you?
 I really appreciate support from the Filipino community, from the Philippines, from Canada and there are Filipinos living around the world and Canadians alike. I’m very honored. Support from any background, I’d really appreciate it.

What do you miss most about the Philippines?
 Pinaka nami-miss ko sa Pilipinas siguro and pagkain at saka ang mga tao who are very easy going, very easy loving, very endearing. So that’s what I miss most about the Philippines. It is such a beautiful country, beautiful people. But there are Filipinos around the world and there are a lot of Filipinos in Canada so it has been great there as well.

Ms. Denmark Maya Celeste Padillo Olesen
Being half-Danish and half-Filipino, what does it feel like representing Denmark?

I’m so proud of my Filipino roots but I’m also proud of representing Denmark.  But yeah, even though I don’t really speak the Filipino language, I feel like one. My mother makes a lot of Filipino food and we have a lot of Filipino parties at home like karaoke (party) and stuff like that. I have a lot of the Filipino culture with me even though I don’t speak the language.

Tell us about your best experience in the Ms. World tour in England and Scotland?
I think it was at Sofitel. They had an amazing breakfast. I just love food. But Everything has been an experience. This is my first time in England and my first time in Scotland as well.  I love to travel so I am just so excited that I can put X in 2 countries.

You grew up in Denmark but you were born in the Philippines. How much of you is Filipino?
I’m 50 percent Filipino blooded and I was born there. My roots come from the Philippines.

If you win the Miss World, to whom would you dedicate the crown?
To my parents. I am just like half of them it will be to the Filipino and Danish world.

You are very beautiful. You must be getting a lot of attention in Denmark now and also in the Philippines. Would you consider a career in showbiz after joining Miss World?

I don’t know really because I was always terrified of standing on the stage but being at Ms. World I’ve really tried to be more open. Maybe, I will never say never to an opportunity if it comes along. 

Are you studying now?

 I became a student last year but I will start my education as nurse next year .

So what is life like for you after Miss World?
For me, I would like to start having education before doing anything else because I want a solid ground for the future but if an acting career came along I would not say no to that.

What is your message to some of your Filipino fans?

 I have got a lot of support from Filipinos. They have written to me and they tell me how proud they are that I am Filipino so I am going to do my best to make them proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment